[AMPS] conversion

rich 2@mail.vcnet.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 05:26:11 -0800

>...not to sound too simplistic but....
>
>Has anyone attempted a conversion of an Alpha 374 to the GU74B/4CX800A
>tube - I have a 374 with fried finals and cannot justify investing in three
>Eimac tubes for it! ...

-  The proposed mod should be fairly easy since the screen V can come
from a shunt zener-string regulator powered by the anode supply - dropped
through a R.  This mod sounds good to me since AB1-grid-driven will solve
the 374's no tuned input problem.
-  I would like to purchase the kaput tubes if you still have them.  I do
autopsies and photograph the grid/cathode assembly if it's interesting.
(such as the 8874 photo in "Parasitics Revisited" in Sept., 1990 *QST*)

tnx.  gud luck.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end