[AMPS] pills and rc feedback

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:23:45 +0000

rich wrote:

>>sorry for the late reply - spamcop has the whole of the UK's biggest ISP
>>blocked so I couldn't post to the reflector. I'm trying this through a
>>webmail account.
>>
>//    My ISP is rabidly anti-spam - yet SpamCop managed to label him a
>source of spam, which naturally blocked yours truly.  Perhaps SpamCop was
>created by spammers?

...in a subtle move to give anti-spam services a bad name?  Well, it
almost fits the facts.

My ISP was another victim of this useless "service". SpamCop blocks mail
from any ISP server that has been used to send spam. Sounds like a great
idea... until you stop and think about it.

ISPs hate spam even more than we do, because it clogs up their servers.
Reputable ISPs - the vast majority - will zap a spammer immediately on
the first offence. But gung-ho SpamCop has already blacklisted their
outgoing servers.

For you and me, it means we can't send to any list that uses the SpamCop
service - like AMPS - until SpamCop times-out our ISP's "offence" after
a few days.

So SpamCop did nothing to stop the spammer - the ISP did that. SpamCop
only makes the innocent suffer after the event.

SpamCop does have a "whitelist" facility that could override the
automatic blocking... but that is not being used for AMPS.

AMPS has been very quiet recently. I wonder how much of this is
self-inflicted?

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek