[AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:35:12 +0000

Barry Kirkwood wrote:
>Which just perhaps leads us back to Ian's comments on the Collins 30S1,
>big screen supply with choke input filter in series with anode supply,
>bias supply also stiff but value floating with mains variations in
>sympathy with the other values.... Add Ian's screen protective sensors
>in series with the screen feed?
>Way to go if you have the iron lying around?

Not unless you have some very special  iron. The anode-cathode voltage
comes from two separate stacked power supplies, connected at the screen
(chassis). Therefore the "anode" and "screen" supplies each need to be
rated at about one amp. The only regulation in the original 30-S1 was
from choke-input power supplies. It relied very much on all the supplies
(including G1) varying in proportion to one another... though exactly
what that guaranteed in terms of linearity, I'm not quite sure.

The 30-S1 was very much "one of a kind". Although it contained a number
of novel concepts, not many have stood the test of time, and
particularly not the split power supplies.

Not sure what you mean by
>Ian's screen protective sensors in series with the screen feed
  ... but I probably deny everything!

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek