[AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:46:52 -0800

> >> missed
> impedance
> >>
> >> Inability to maintain constant V with <> I is the sticky wicket.
> >>
> >	::Well, dynamic impedance, which is the parameter of which you speak
> >(write), is a function of only three variables: Avalanche voltage;
> junction
> >construction; junction cross-section (die area).  If one desires low Zz
> >(dynamic impedance), it's easy to find in very large-area devices, such
> as
> >100W stud devices.  Placing a bunch of low voltage avalanche devices in
> >series increases Zz by a factor of how many diodes are placed in series.
>
> If the delta V for one diode ia 2%, the delta V for 100 of them in series
> is 2% even though the regulated V is 100x higher.

	::Absolutely true, although Zz is expressed in Ohms, not percentage;
however, if you do the math, it comes out the same.  The problem is that Zz,
and thus regulation, is not held well by small-area junctions.  The Zz of a
small device might be 10-20-30 Ohms, so dynamic regulation (in V) is "I"
(current) x Zz.  If you place 10 devices in series, each having a Zz of 10
Ohms, the resultant Zz is 100 Ohms.  V = I * 100.  However a large die
device having a Zz of 1 Ohm, when placed in a series string of ten, has a
resultant Zz of 10 Ohms.  V = I * 10.  Obviously, ten times better dynamic
regulation.  That was my only point.

	-WB2WIK/6