[AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:27:20 +0000

rich wrote:

>>a voltage
>>regulator with a low dynamic resistance - which is the change of screen
>>voltage, for a given change of screen current.
>
>To do the job at hand, a zener must exhibit a high dynamic resistance
>with only a small change in V.  Otherwise it would not be able to
>maintain a constant V as the screen current varies.

A small change in V for a given change in I is characteristic of *low*
resistance, not high. Check the device data sheets for the definition of
dynamic resistance, or almost any electronics textbook. The
'Foundations' chapter of 'The Art of Electronics' by Horowitz and Hill
covers it very well.

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek