[AMPS] bias regulator

John T. M. Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:16:44 -0700

Xicor has introduced a Bias regulator chip made especially for use
with LDMOS RF transistors. It uses active feedback from a drain
current sensing resistor, to adjust the gate bias to keep the part at
optimal Q point for, say, class AB1 idling current. It has an
interface port for digital control, to force it into various states
such as active adjusting, PA shutdown, PA transmit without
adjustment, etc. Internally the chip uses one of their digital
controlled potentiometers to make the adjustment, and has an
instrumentation amp front end, an error amp and an output buffer amp.
Its the X9470. Heres the blurb from their website. There is a PDF
file press release but no datasheet that I could find:

>Xicor and Motorola Collaborate
>                   On "Smart Biasing" Solutions for RF Power Amplifiers
>
>                   MILPITAS, California - January 16, 2002 - Xicor,
>Inc. (Nasdaq/NMS: XICO)
>                   announced today that they have teamed up with
>Motorola to provide radio
>                   frequency power amplifier (RFPA) reference
>platforms for GSM, EDGE and
>                   W-CDMA cellular basestation applications. These
>reference platforms will
>                   incorporate Xicor's unique "Smart Biasing" ICs for
>RFPA applications.

All the ricka-racka on screen voltage regulators for tetrodes
reminded me to point out that the IC folks have it easy to build it
all into a small ASIC device, while we tube types gotta fool around
with MOSFETS, Zeners, spark gaps, and so on, to stabilize our beloved
bottles. It sure would be wonderful if hams with huge egos would grow
up and keep their contributions to AMPS@CONTESTING.COM at a
technical, not personal, level. Its amazing how quickly the
discussions seem to elevate to attack mode. I'm sure certain
individuals will send me a stab for suggesting that, but .... just
grow up.

73
John
K5PRO