[AMPS] bias regulator

rich 2@mail.vcnet.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:54:57 -0800

>Xicor has introduced a Bias regulator chip made especially for use
>with LDMOS RF transistors. It uses active feedback from a drain
>current sensing resistor, to adjust the gate bias to keep the part at
>optimal Q point for, say, class AB1 idling current. It has an
>interface port for digital control, to force it into various states
>such as active adjusting, PA shutdown, PA transmit without
>adjustment, etc. Internally the chip uses one of their digital
>controlled potentiometers to make the adjustment, and has an
>instrumentation amp front end, an error amp and an output buffer amp.
>Its the X9470. Heres the blurb from their website. There is a PDF
>file press release but no datasheet that I could find:
>
>>Xicor and Motorola Collaborate
>>                   On "Smart Biasing" Solutions for RF Power Amplifiers
>>
>>                   MILPITAS, California - January 16, 2002 - Xicor,
>>Inc. (Nasdaq/NMS: XICO)
>>                   announced today that they have teamed up with
>>Motorola to provide radio
>>                   frequency power amplifier (RFPA) reference
>>platforms for GSM, EDGE and
>>                   W-CDMA cellular basestation applications. These
>>reference platforms will
>>                   incorporate Xicor's unique "Smart Biasing" ICs for
>>RFPA applications.
>

>All the ricka-racka on screen voltage regulators for tetrodes
>reminded me to point out that the IC folks have it easy to build it
>all into a small ASIC device, while we tube types gotta fool around
>with MOSFETS, Zeners, spark gaps, and so on, to stabilize our beloved
>bottles. It sure would be wonderful if hams with huge egos would grow
>up and keep their contributions to AMPS@CONTESTING.COM at a
>technical, not personal, level.

//   I view ad hominem attacks as good news.  There's usually a tender
nerve behind technical bull's-eyes.   Eliminate the "expert"
technoblatherers on AMPS and the group would likely be a sure cure for
insomnia.

> Its amazing how quickly the
>discussions seem to elevate to attack mode.

//    As a wild and crazy guess, the problem might be related to
testosterone.
-  In some primative tribes of New Guinea, men wear phallocarps -- i. e.,
holsters used to protect male equipment from thorns and brambles on
jungle trails.
-  See  *Discover* magazine, "April, 1985.pp,70-83 - "Everything Else You
Always Wanted to Know About Sex . . . But That We Were Afraid to Ask".
by Jared Diamond:
quoting:
" ...   Phallocarps vary in length (up to two feet), diameter (up to four
inches), shape (curved or straight),  ... ... ...   Each man has a
wardrobe of several sizes and shapes. Western male anthropologists
interpret the phallocarp as something worn for modesty or concealment, to
which my wife had a succinct rebuttal:  "The most immodest display of
modesty I've ever seen!"

>I'm sure certain individuals will send me a stab for suggesting that, but
.... just
>grow up.

//  My favorite kvetcher is the guy who complains about reading my