[AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:00:58 -0800

There's been so much discussion on this, I can't resist:

Last time I built a tetrode amp I used a 4-1000A grid-driven and put +550V
on Ig2, provided by a stiff power supply that had no electronic regulation
whatever.  Just a 400V, 200mA transformer, full-wave bridge, ~160uF
filtering, and a 10k, 50W bleeder resistor dissipating 30W.  Eg2 never
varied by more than 1-2Vpk key up, key down, with modulation, without
modulation, whatever.  Seemed plenty stiff enough to me, and cost about $20
for the entire circuit, including the transformer.

Duh-?

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger