[AMPS] Iron regulated screen supply?

rich 2@mail.vcnet.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:17:06 -0800

>Contemplating building a tetrode linear from the accumulated treasures of
>years.
>Thinking back on the 30S-1 approach, and amateur as opposed to production
>budgeting.
>Thoughts:
>If one is starting from scratch with things accumulated from junk sales
>(with an aging ham population used equipment seems to be a buyer's market!)
>then a power supply made by stacking a frinstance 400V @ 1A peak with say
>3kV@ 1A  peak is not such a bad concept :

//  An anode PS sourced shunt 400v screen regulator is cheaper, less
complex, more RF immune, and more accident resistant than a 1A screen
supply.

>the screen load is trivial, one is
>basically making a slightly unorthodox anode supply.

Screen dissipation is not trivial.

>Again, tuned chokes are not such a big deal, and maybe plain choke input
>with a generous reservoir capacity and generous bleed current might show
>almost as good dynamic regulation.

When an old timer [W6SDM] recommended againt such because of a transient
regulation problem, I went home, fired up my DC oscilloscope and saw for
myself.  When the load current decreased, there was a substantial
V-spike.  When the load current increased, there was a substantial V dip.
 On a meter, I could not see the problem.

>After all tetrode high fi audio amps run
>low distortion (albeit with negative feedback) ...

//  Bingo

good luck, Barry

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end