[AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu

rich 2@mail.vcnet.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 05:23:26 -0800

>At 11:04 PM 1/30/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>
>>Jim Strohm wrote:
>>>Another concern is -- there's been a lot of "put up or shut up"
>>>catcalling, but the people calling the loudest really haven't provided
>>>any hard documentation on their "facts,"
>>
>>I apologise to the group for my contribution to this "catcalling". However
>>severe the provocation, I should not have risen to it.
>
>Ian,
>
>You - of all people - do not need to apologize. The provocation was severe.
>Rich has become such a pain in the arse that I've finally filtered all his
>posts. If he ever has anything useful to say again, I'll never see it.  Not
>much risk there, is there !

"The lady doeth protest too much methinks."  (*Hamlet*, Act VIII)

>It is a shame that someone so capable of
>contributing, instead does the opposite. A nearly complete waste of a good
>mind in my opinion. ...

The rub is the claim that simple zener shunt regulation of the screen
causes IMD.   My experience has been that designing a _satisfactory_,
zener shunt regulator that allows the tetrode to meet it's IMD specs.
However, designing such a regulator is not as simple as it looks.  The
stickiest wicket is the semi-realistic dissipation rating method.
Dividing the manufacturer's dissipation rating by 3 seems to address the
problem.
-  The advantages of screen shunt-regulation are:
1.  Automatic-sinking of potentially-fatal reverse screen current.
2.  Impossible to exceed screen dissipation rating if the source of V
feeding the series-R to the shunt-regulator is >2x the screen V.  (as
pointed out by Mr. Rauch)
3.  Immune to RF.
4.  Fail-safe.
5.  $implicity.
6.  The screen regulator can serve as the anode PS bleeder -- provided
the HV filter is an oil-filled capacitor.

I used to killfile.  I pretty much gave it up - except for spam.  I like
to read at least the first few sentences of every reply.  If it's of
little interest, I click delete and start reading the next reply.

cheers

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end