[AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu

rich 2@mail.vcnet.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:39:15 -0800

>>>For my point of view, please see:
>>>  http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek/boards/tetrode/tetrode-3.htm
>>>
>>Voltage regulation measurements would be nice.
>
>I don't quote the figures because they're almost embarrassingly good.

Agreed.  The 723-based positive floating regulator in Figure 8 on my web
site regulates so well that I could not detect any drop at 1400v out on
my Fluke 3.5 digit DMM.  The sticky-wicket with the 723 is a current gain
of >500,000, so keeping RF out of the beast takes a bit of doing.

>The output regulation, hum and noise are all typically below 100mV - a
>4-1/2 digit DVM doesn't flicker between no load and full load.

Impressive.

>That's certainly better than any power tetrode actually needs, but it's what
>the active regulator happens to deliver.
>
>>Were the IMD measurement relative to PEP or to the two tones?
>
>Relative to either of two equal tones, so they all look 6dB higher than
>the ARRL-style presentation (which is below PEP).

Thanks.  This is the same way Eimac measures IMD.   Much to the chagrin
of DAFers, I measure IMD with voice modulation, a HP step attenuator and
a double-filter receiver  --  i.e., a PEP type measurement.

>More important are the differences between them.

Agreed.  I would like to see a doubleblind measurement of % screen
regulation vs, % distortion with voice modulation.

cheers, Ian

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end