[Amps] 4CX250 IMD

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:25:07 -0700

1.  Because most designers assume that a 5w zener can work well at 5w.
2.  A spectrum analyzer is not the right measurement tool.
3.  Such a test should measure p-p screen V - with voice-mod - vs total
IMD observed on a double-filter receiver using a step-attenuator to
measure relative signal strengths.

>John measured both methods and the improvements were worthwhile
>in his opinion and in the opinion of many other mid 80's VHF ops in Europe.
>Have you actually read the article?

no.  I built amps and I realize that peak cathode current varies as the
3/2 power of screen potential.

>If I have the inference of your riddles correct you are suggesting that we
>should not trust the  advice of either GW4FRX or G3SEK because they have
>been involved with the development of the tetrode boards provided by Ian.

I trust in doing one's own measurements.

>  I find that utterly preposterous because as well you know from your own
>various retrofits nobody gets rich selling amp bits to radio amateurs.

Indeed.  I make less than zero money from the business.  My two helpers
are 13 and 16 yr old neighbors that we have known for over a decade.  My
wife and I do not need the money.  They do.

>People occasionally do us all a service, there are many examples of this out
>there. Indeed I do it myself, regularly passing on parts to others and
>merely meeting costs.

This is good.  The issue is whether super-regulation is better than good
regulation.
The 723 based regulator shown in Figure-8 on my Web site is a screen
super-regulator and yet the on-the-air improvement is/was insignificant
over a +/- 1% trog 2-transistor regulator.

>I really wish that you would try speaking in plain English, It's my native
>tongue and even I can't understand you, what have foxes got to do with
>amplifiers :-)

RR

cheers, Conrad

www.vcnet.com/measures.