[Amps] Drake L7 PS questions

RMead100@aol.com RMead100@aol.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 23:19:47 EDT

More specifically, re: the capacitor question on the L7......

the original supply used 4x 200mfd at 450 volts on each leg of the doubler.
This was a capacitance per leg of 50 mfd, at 1800 volts.

MY choice is between 4 x 270mfd at 450v  for  67.5mfd per leg, at 1800v
or 5x 270mfd at 450 for 54mfd per leg at 2250 volts.

In the one case I get 25 percent more capacitance giving me that much less
ripple than whatever the original design had, and in the other case I have 8
percent more capacitance but rated at 25 percent higher voltage. In both
cases the temperature rating on the new caps is 105 c.

Since I already bought the caps, the only incremental work is soldering the
fith one in on each leg.   How do you choose ?

73 Randy
K8BUX