[Amps] 3-400Z vs. 4-400A

skipp isaham nospam4me@juno.com
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:28:19 -0700

[cut and paste]
-
Because other options are open season... One
might judge the value of a Dahl retrofit xfmr. Some
vintage Henry amps (with excessive filament and
Anode values) arrived with 3-400z's on board, an
SB-220 might be considered a candidate should
the owner have a supply of cheaper 4-400's when
the original tubes go away.  The original post
asked for information to compare the two tube
types... the posted reply was very useful, on topic
information.
-
I've found the 4-400 a bit "stiff to drive" compared
to the 3-500z, but it's a nice tube to play with.  One
could easily apply a bit of screen voltage for lower
drive (and higher gain) applications. The control
grid could be grounded (bias applied in the fil xfmr
ct) or dc floated (I don't prefer floating control grids
if a choice is available). But then you get away from
the simplicity of zero bias operation.
Adding tetrode operation to a swan amplifier is
also not out of the question. There's lots of space
inside....
One or two classic ARRL type 4-400 Handbook
projects come to mind with lower anode G-G
AB2 operation.
-
>> Unless, of course one wants to point out his
>> library skills.
-
Pretty rude of you to attack Rich's about his
post offering valid information. The posted
information was on topic..  provide your on topic
information and get off your bitter horse ride.
-
>> In case you DO want to up the Swan Amp's
>> plate voltage to 3,400 volts in order to
>> obtain the requisite idling current, there are
>> any number of authorities on the subject,
>> RIGHT HERE?  Just ask!
-
If the answer is on topic, why not post it
instead of playing personal attack 101 and
stingy with your info.... buck'o.
-
One is not limited to the mentioned 3400 volt
potentials as a min value to "obtain the requisite
idling current," there are any number of amps
members willing to offer up various options
and opinions without the additional cannon
fodder (personal attacks) attached.
-
The 4-400 is a tetrode and some very
innovative things can be done with that