[Amps] Mica Capacitors

COLIN LAMB k7fm@teleport.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 6:51:29 -0700

Hello Guillermo:

I have used the old WWII mica capacitors for many projects and they have
all worked fine and never failed.  I have never experienced the shorting
problems that Rich mentioned with the mica caps.

Here in the Un.ited States, parts are readily accessible.  But that is not
the case in some other countries where parts may be difficult to get and
tariffs high.  So, use what you have.

There were paper capacitors made during WWII that looked like mica
capacitors.  These are very poor and have a high failure rate.  However,
the large mica capacitors are excellent.  As a matter of fact, the only
mica capacitor failures I have had are modern ones.

The voltage rating is dc volts.  They may be paralleled to obtain the
desired capacitance.  Many of these caps have a current rating at a certain
frequency.  They may be safely used at a higher frequency, although their
design adds a lot of inductance which may limit the use to below 20 MHz.

I have built an amplifier using an 813 and surplus mica capacitors and gave
it away to a friend about 20 years ago.  It is still running and may have
been the most reliable amplifier I had.

Good luck on your project.

73,  Colin  K7FM