[Amps] Bias Zener Diodes In Parallel ?

Gary Ferdinand W2CS W2CS@bellsouth.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:23:35 -0400

Why not use a string of normal diodes in series? They go in OPPOSITE to how
the zener connects.  Figure about 0.7-0.8V per diode, string what you need
in SERIES to generate the bias voltage you need.  Use diodes with an
appropriate current rating to handle whatever your current load is, probably
3A more than sufficient.  Probably talking a couple bucks, most of that for
the bubble pack.

I've been using same in my SB220 for about 5 years now.  No problems
whatsoever, and the string allows me to "tap" it to provide different bias
settings for SSB versus CW.

Lose the zener!

Gary W2CS