[Amps] Bias Zener Diodes In Parallel ?

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:11:41 -0500

> > How about the old trick of putting a power resistor in parallel with the
> > zener to take some of the "heat."
> >
> > WA5JCI
> >
> > //I wouldn't do that; it makes for a pretty sloppy regulator, having no
> > real "knee."  I don't understand why hams resist simply using components
> > designed for the task at hand -- am I missing something?  I can buy DO-5
> > case, 50W, 100Apk Iz rated, 5% tolerance zeners all day long for less than
> > the cost of a six-pack of 807's.  And just one will do the job, and likely
> > outlast the operator.
> >
> > -WB2WIK/6

There comes a time during the building of an amp that one
must bite the bullet and actually go to the store and buy the
proper  component to do the job. The ability to know when
those junk-box parts are inadequate comes from years of
seeing the result of under-engineering and too much
jury-rigging. Also, the pride of producing a reliable product
that can be counted on in the heat of battle for years to come
is a nice feeling.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC