[Amps] Ameritron (Poor Tech service)

Robert Carroll rlcarroll@rcn.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:40:31 -0400

On the other hand I have just worked through a nasty lighting strike
damage incident with my AL1500.  I worked with Willie and others at
Ameritron over a three week period as I zeroed in on the multiple
problem areas.  I found all the techs to be helpful and good at guessing
what various symptons implied.  Also, I  ended up ordering a number of
parts and a board.  They came quickly and the individual parts were
correct.  I pointed out to Willie that some of the power supply
circuitry in the AL1500 did not agree with the schematic.  He was aware
of the differences and also of the interchange of RLY2 and RLY3
notations on the parts list.  In times past Ameritron has sent me a
number of small parts free.

They have been working for more than a year on a manual update program
and on-line availability of manuals but progress seems to be slow.

So, everybody's mileage varies but I have had good luck working with
Ameritron on a number of amps, tuners, etc.  Surprisingly enough to me,
I have found the AL1500 to be more reliable than an Alpha 89 which I
bought new and which has been cursed with strange problems since the day
it came in the door.  It's been back to the factory around 3 times and
is about to make another trip.  I use an Alpha 86 as well and it has
been a workhorse and is still on the original set of tubes.  BY the way,
I have found the Alpha folks very good to work with, it's only the 89
that's cursed.

Bob W2WG