[Amps] Muffin Fans and hot exhaust

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:11:41 -0400

At 08:38 AM 7/22/02 -0400, Ron wrote:
>In working with fans , pressures developed are less than 1 inch of water
>where 1 atmosphere is roughly 32 feet of water or about 14 lbs / sq. in.
>If it develops more than say 1/2 in of water , it is a blower.
>All my experiments show that it works better blowing than sucking for
>the reasons mentioned by Dave.  If there is no choice ,as in a high
>efficiency furnace with a blower placed on the exaust plenum,  you got
>to do what you got to do.

I'm sure this is all true, but in certain situations, a muffin fan in
suction mode can be a great help.  I got a couple of 3" diameter 115 volt
muffins, wired them in series, put one behind my transceiver to help
exhaust air from the final heat sink, and the other atop the power supply
section of my SB-220 to augment the main muffin fan which blows in across
the tube envelopes.  In both instances, temperatures went down noticeably,
and because of the reduced voltage the fans are inaudible.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org