[Amps] Induction Motors was: Muffin Fans and hot exhaust

Gary Schafer garyschafer@attbi.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:13:14 -0400

I have used series capacitors for speed control of blowers with good success. A
capacitor is much less critical than a resistor. It seems to provide a more
stable speed too.

On the subject of fans pulling air rather than pushing it, I think that at low
pressures either way works just about as well. As the pressure increases then
pushing will work better.
While it is true that there is a limit on how far negative a fan can operate and
no limit on positive pressure, as evidenced by a water pump only being able to
suck water from about 20 feet but able to push it to many times that height.

73
Gary  K4FMX