[Amps] Muffin Fans

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:23:16 -0700

> "We use computer modeling for airflow, with a package called Flowtherm,
> > available as a module that works with our solid design software,
> > Pro-Engineer, from Parametric Technologies Corp.  It's powerful, and
> > appears quite accurate provided all data (volume, form and location of
> all
> > devices in a chassis as well as power dissipated by all devices) is
> > accurate.  We occasionally use infrared imaging for real thermal
> > evaluation, to verify the Flowtherm results.  There are seldom any
> > surprises."
>

> The modeling would have to take into account the external obstructions,
> too.  If the amplifier is 1" away from a wall, airflow would be limited.
> Does this modeling allow one to calculate for external obstructions?

	[Steve Katz]  The program allows you to enter all data relating to
the product's environment.  This is especially important for us, since we
design and manufacture mostly "rack mount" equipment (19" panel, 17.5" wide
chassis, sometimes placed in cabinets having solid side walls only 2-3" each
side of the chassis...and sometimes placed in cabinets having poorly vented
rear doors only 1-2" behind the chassis).  All variables may be entered and
are used to predict results. -WB2WIK/6