[Amps] Induction Motors was: Muffin Fans and hot exhaust

2 2@vc.net
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:52:12 -0700

I have seen air-compressor motors with a centrifugal switch/start
winding, but I have never seen a centrifugal blower motor with such a
switch.  Air-compressor motors appear to draw c. 5-times the rated watts
until the centrifugal switch opens - so I doubt that the start winding
has high R.

> An alternating single
>phase field will not start rotation but will maintain it once started. The
>phase relationship between the start winding and the run winding is what
>determines direction of rotation, and thus gives the ability to reverse the
>motor, provided all 4 winding connections are wired out.

done that

>Interesting thing to try with a small (~1/2 hp) induction motor, is to
>disconnect the start winding, energize the run winding, and quickly give the
>shaft a spin. It will start and run in either direction, depending on which
>way you spin it.
>
>Another interesting thing to try is to jumper the capacitor on an unloaded
>capacitor start motor. Since the start winding is quite resistive, the motor
>will still start but there is a noticeable reduction in starting torque, as
>there is less phase shift between the start and run windings without the
>capacitor.
>
>Getting back to the fractional hp motors often seen on blowers, as I
>mentioned, I haven't spent much time working with these. So, I just put one
>on the bench to take a closer look. This was a 1amp motor connected to a
>Torin blower, with a 4 uf oil capacitor attached.
>
>This type of motor appears more as a poly phase induction motor that
>requires the capacitor continually to produce a phase shift for both
>starting and running.

Agreed. which is why I call the higher-R coil the run direction winding.

>When I disconnected the capacitor, the motor would not
>start. Given a spin, the motor started but ran roughly. Without the
>capacitor, the "no load" running current was high. When I loaded the motor,
>the running current then became excessive. This is much like one would
>expect with a 3 phase motor running on single phase.
>
>When I ohmed out the leads, there appeared to be three windings of equal
>resistance, as one would expect with a 3 phase motor. The windings were
>delta connected with the "un-fed" leg of the delta broken, and the capacitor
>inserted in series. I will in time, have to do some more experimenting and
>dissecting, as I am now intrigued.

Thanks for the R&D, Jeff.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end