[Amps] relative value of a Henry 4K

Gary Smith mandolinist@interlync.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:27:17 -0500

Steve

> Have you seen and touched this amplifier?

No, it's 1,000 miles from here though I'm heading that
way in a month.

> I'd at least lift the lid, unscrew the RF section cover (containing the tube
> and plate tank) and have a look in there to see if there's any evidence of
> what caused the power supply failure!  Possibly the tube became an expensive
> fuse-?

Possible though the description was more of
transformer smoke & smell.

> And "power supply damage" can be minor, like blown rectifiers, or major,
> like a blown transformer and/or choke.  I'd want more detail on this before
> trying to evaluate the amp's worth.

Of course. I'm trying to get an idea what a working one
might be worth to know if I want to muck with it or not. I
want one for myself, not for resale.

I own an Alpha 77SX serial 2931 & it went to ETO for
repair. They lost track of it when they relocated & I'm
still out an amp or compensation. Someone,
somewhere has my SX that ETO/Alpha should have
returned to me.

I need another amp.

> I didn't know any 4K's used pentodes.

According to Henry there was a 4K, a 4K-2 and the
4K Ultra. The 4K & the 4K-2 used the 5CX1500. The
Ultra used the 3CX1500A7

Gary
KA1J