[Amps] Re: [Amps] Driving Impedance

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:53:46 -0700

>A tetrode can be grounded grid.
>
>Polarization requirements are not the same than dynamic circuit and
>have nothing to do with the amplifier configuration.
>Stated it, and generally speaking, why to bother with a tetrode in a Gg
>and why to be forced in building a second PS.
>Use a triode, instad.

The tuned input circuits for the soon to be 10 amateur bands below 30 MHz
are not a piece of cake for a Q of 2-3, which is needed with solid state
transceivers driving G-G amplifiers.  To fully cover the 3.5MHz and the
28MHz bands, two additional tuned inputs are needed.  With a grid-driven
amplifier, one roller-coil and one terminating R gives a good match
everywhere.
-- A second power supply is not needed for the 4cx800 (30mA/350V screen)
because the ideal setup is to obtain the screen V from a shunt zener
string powered by the current from a resistor connected to the HV-PS.
The neg. grid bias potential can come from a half-wave rectifier,
C-filter connected to the mains.

>All the matter is a bit obscure, it becomes expecially annoying when
>using tubes where screen current has to be zero or anyway very low.

There is normally screen current under signal conditions.

>In my experience I never found a tetrode with more gain than a triode
>when used as a Gg amplifier at full power.

Agreed, and there's usually less gain than with a high-Mu triode.
However, a grid-driven 8281 tetrode will do c. 23db gain with 170w drive.

ciao, Mauri