[Amps] 8877 Max Grid Current

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 05:41:28 -0700

Trivia questions' solutions:
The minimum anode-to-grid potential for an 8877 is c. 250V.  Thus, with a
4000Vdc anode supply, the anode voltage swing is c. 3750V-peak, or
2650Vrms.  At 250 MHz the reactance of the 10pF anode-grid C is
63.7-ohms.  Since I=E/R, the AC grid-current = 2650Vrms/63.7-ohms =
41.6Arms.
At 144MHz, the Xc of 10pF is 110-ohms.  The AC grid current is
2650Vrms/110-ohms = 24Arms.
-  In both cases, the DC grid current is probably c. 100mA.
As can be seen in Figure 24 on my Web site, the 8877 grid cage is made of
over 100 bars of rectangular metal [gold-plated molybdneum].  Thus, at
its maximum ratings, each grid bar is carrying only 0.38Arms plus 9mAdc.
-  notes:  the 8877's grid should be grounded with the requsite collet to
reduce L.  The best protection against potentially-fatal heater/cathode
arcs is to connect the heater to the cathode and feed the heater through
a 10A bifilar choke.  Also, neither side of the heater should be grounded
And the HV-negative/cathode-return should be protected with glitch diodes
to limit voltage rise during a +HV to ground arc.

have fun