[Amps] Pi tanks vs Pi L + LOW PASS

Alex alex@mail.sandlabs.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:10:13 -0400

As I have designed several amps in this manner, I  am a firm believer in the
PI filter only
output stage. It is recommended to use a progressive thread variable
inductor so as on the 6 and 10 m bands the inductance per turn diminishes.
If you have the mechanical skill or you can buy one, I will strongly
recommend a variable inductor coil with at least 4 rollers that make contact
with the coil(for mechanical reasons).

Also, fully shield this stage form the rest of the amp, and you are set to
see your tube IMD specifications fulfilled, which, in most cases and for
amateur use, is more than FCC requires :).

Which brings me to a different issue. Just try this experiment. Get your amp
exited by your rig
and measure it's harmonical output (in CW mode). Then replace the rig with a
good quality
signal generator-preamp (one that has less than -120dB spurious on the
second harmonic- and you'll be surprised how good your amp output looks.

As a reminder, harmonics are not only produced by a Amplitude distorted
signal (and other minor causes) but also by its Phase jitter (poor Local
Oscillator designs).

Alex