[AMPS] Kenwood TS-440 and TL-922A hook up help

krishna kanakasapapathi kkanakas@cisco.com
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 19:52:20 -0500

Folks,
 I would like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to help
me out.
 I finally found the problem and fixed it.
 Somehow, the multimeter and my amp keying cable caused a transistor in the
IF board(
 the one that times the Relay, transmit and receive mode signals from the
processor) to short. There
 was a resistor that was in the circuit to prevent this from happening. But
it stayed
 alive long enough to kill the transistor. The person who did the mod used a
1/4 W , where a 1/6W is
 the suggested rating.

 So after the transistor & resistor were replaced, the rig works fine. I
still have an issue with the
 internal tuner. This should be a similar problem.

 I built another amp keying cable and now the TS-440 is keying my TL-922A
just fine. I have some
 questions on the right tune up procedure, standby mode indicator lamp
replacement, ON/OFF switch
 replacement. I will first search the archives and then post a request if
necessary.

 Its so gratifying to find and fix the problem. Its fun.

73's
krish
w4/vu2vku