[Amps] Blowers

Peter Chadwick Peter.Chadwick@zarlink.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:47:07 -0000

Rich said:

>A blower is too large when it blows the tube out of the socket.

My sentiments,too, but a couple of years back, somebody here said that he'd
worked at a broadcast station where the blower revs had been turned up and tube
life went for a chop because of overheating.

Seemed strange, but is it possible that higher airflow speeds could lead to
vortices developing that could actually cause small volumes around the tube to
have a partial vacuum and no air flow around them, thus leading to localised
overheating?

It's certainly a case with ejectors that the steam speed can be too high for
effective vacuum production: there's an optimum size of cone for a given steam
pressure. I'm  assuming that air and steam act much the same.....

I suppose if the blower is arrranged to suck enough air through the anode cooler
in the 'wrong' direction, you don't need any tube retention mechanism!!

73

Peter G3RZP