[Amps] AL-84 Modification Suggestions...

Gerry Hull windev@inetmarket.com
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:50:24 -0500

Hi,

A few years ago I picked up an Ameritron AL84 at a flea
market for a pittance..  160-10m desktop amp using sweep
tubes.  After looking inside, I was pretty disgusted with
the construction, but it has some basic parts and I like
the size.

However, I don't like sweep tubes, especially the
fact they now cost many more times the price of the amp.

I was wondering if it would be realistic to fit something
like a 4CX250 into the case:
 - I can use a voltage doubler to get about 2Kv for the plate.
 - I can fit a small transformer in for the screen supply.
 - I bet I can fit a small blower in the space.

I'm thinking tetrode because I'd like to have a very-low-drive
amp that I can use with my FT-817.  200-300w out would be fine.
(I like QRO and QRP!)

Am I crazy or do you guys have a better suggestion?

73,

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM