[Amps] TenTec Titan 425

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 07:02:50 -0800

€  RR

>When the polarity is reversed, won't the meltballs go towards the +ve grid
>and give the same current?

€  With pos. 5kV on the anode, some of the meltballs apparently stick to
the anode insulator where they form a leakage path.  With neg 5kV on the
anode, thanks to like charges repel, the meltballs apparently head
through the grid-cage and fall toward the base.  By tapping on the top of
the tube, more meltballs can be dislodged and moved into the base.  A
>20:1 reduction in leakage current can be accomplished with this seemingly
shmuckish technique.  However, if the tube is inadvertently inverted,
some meltballs move back to the anode insulator and anode-grid leakage
increases substantially.
-  The tapping process also dislodges gold meltballs from the strontium
and barium oxide emissive coating on the cathode.  Since gold poisons
electron-emission, dislodging gold from the cathode increases emission.
Thus, a tube that was producing low anode-current, may return to normal
emission.  (note - gold meltballs are too small to be seen with a
magnifying glass, so I use a 30x microscope to view them)

cheers, Steve

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end