[Amps] Antenna vs. amp (was: al-1200 question)

WYsixK wy6k@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:55:01 -0800 (PST)

Steve,

Virtually every object emits background RF radiation that can be heard with a good antenna,
although I'd be a bit puzzled that you could hear it on a freq as low as 144 mhz with a single
yagi.  You can clearly hear this background radiation with a high gain eme antenna system.  Point
it at the sky and you hear a certain noise level.  Point it at the sun and you hear sun noise.
Point it at a grove of trees 4 miles away and you can hear the trees.  An explanation that fits
your set of facts is that you were hearing sky noise and a higher gain antenna will certainly
incrase the level of sky noise that you hear.  It would be pretty constant on all azimuth
headings.  But a little experimentation - point at sun and terrestrial objects -  will prove or
disprove the hypothesis.

Michael