[Amps] Re: [CQ-Contest] Italian power explained -

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:08:38 -0800

>At 04:59 PM 3/10/02 EST, you wrote:
>>Found these 20 and 30kw Italian antenna tuners on the web:
>>
>>http://i5uxj-2.cln.it/amp/hfamp.html
>
>It looks as if the Italians aren't the only ones -- check this JA example
>out, further down on the same page:
>
>http://i5uxj-2.cln.it/amp/schemi/aag/aag.html
>
>It's really quite beautifully built.

€  Beautifully built, however it,:
1.  is not neutralized.

2,  does not have the variable vacuum caps vertically mounted as is
recommended.

3.  uses paralleled DC blocker caps (makes an addiitional VHF resonanance
in the anode circuit.

4.  has the L of L-supp and the L of R-supp approx equal.  To design an
optimal VHF parasite suppressor, these two inductances need to be as
different as is feasable.

5.  has gaps in the winding of the HV-RFC which do not ameliorate the
resonance problem as claimed.

6.  has much wasted space inside.  My guess is that, like the natives in
New Guinea and their up to 4" x 22" phallocarps, the designer wanted to
display a "big one".

>I was also intrigued to read that I5UXJ's flagship amp, running a
>4CX15,000, claims 21 KW output with 70 watts drive.  No wonder you never
>see the amps in pictures of Italian stations!

A 4cx15,000A will, on SSB with a 200w driver, do 36 out, so RG-213 is
definitely out.  Three-phase 480v mains are desireable.  The good news
about the 4cx15.000 is that it does not make X-rays like it's big brother
the 4cx35,000C.   As I understand it, there is a JA who runs a
commercially-built 4cx35,000C.

cheers, Pete

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end