[Amps] re:(amps 10 meters)

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:35:08 -0800

€  Yea, verily, Tom.  Such feculence is a common plague on CB as well.
work-around is to increase the DC supply V to the radio  *And*  turn up
the ALC/ P-limit adj to increase  current.  This procedure keeps
Volts/Amps in the proper ratio so the that the Collector [or Drain]
waveform does not clip and make rotten splatter.  Since 12VDC radios are
typically rated for 11V-min./16V max, and their output transistors are
typically 18VDC-rated units, this causes no problem.
-  Editorial -- someday, car manufacturers may wake up and realize that
48VDC electric systems reduce the amount of copper needed by 75%
compared
to 12V electric systems.  With a 48V electric system, a 1.5 kW HF mobile
amplifier becomes a practicality.
- The transistors used in high power AM broadcast stations run on 70VDC
(W6RU)-- the same as the Apollo moon-lander.  Mo' than 6 or 12 volts is
mo' betta.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich.

I have a friend whose company designs automated test systems ($100k
class). Some are used in the auto mfg business. He told me that , at
least some , auto builders are planning higher voltage primary systems.
I believe he mentioned 48 volt. I have a nice FET amp that would work
great on that voltage for a mobile PA.  N4KG, do you know anything about
this?
73, Dan, N5AR