[Amps] MOV's

jljarvis jljarvis@abs.adelphia.net
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:33:09 -0500

Steve, Richard:

I was looking at MOV's used in surge suppressors on telco and
power drops.  We wre zapping them with a measured charge, per
IEEE, and observing the resulting waveform.

One of the uncomfortable things is, they sometimes fail open..
so you don't know they've failed.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Katz [mailto:stevek@jmr.com]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 1:27 PM
To: 'Richard'; jljarvis; AMPS
Subject: RE: [Amps] MOV's

Note abt MOVs:

One thing that unfortunately does not appear in the mfr's data sheets, or in
any parametric/dynamic curves, is the definition of how the MOV crystals are
arranged and how many joules it takes to fuse each grain.

Traditional MOVs (all that I've seen, anyway) are doped grains of metal
oxides, primarily zinc oxide, that are placed in series, or in
series-parallel combinations, to achieve the BV and J rating desired.  A
large surge can fuse one or two grains and not the rest.  That results in a
lower BV.  This isn't an open nor a short, it's just a modified MOV which
has a lower BV than it originally had.  Unless you're in the habit of
removing them to measure this characteristic after each surge, it's
impossible to know what's happened within the MOV.

As the BV is reduced and gets close to the actual operating voltage, leakage
current within the MOV causes heating (of course), and as the MOV grains get
hotter, their BV drifts more until eventually -- bingo!  With luck, what you
normally have is simply a blown fuse and an MOV you need to replace.

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger