[Amps] MOV's

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:43:44 -0800

> Steve, Richard:
>
> I was looking at MOV's used in surge suppressors on telco and
> power drops.  We wre zapping them with a measured charge, per
> IEEE, and observing the resulting waveform.
>
> One of the uncomfortable things is, they sometimes fail open..
> so you don't know they've failed.

	::Yep, I've seen that often and it is indeed a problem.  One of the
advantages of bipolarity silicon transient voltage suppressors is that they
can be built to fail as a short circuit, predictably and reliably.  It's
still a failure, but it's a more obvious one and thus more desirable than a
"failed open" device.

	-WB2WIK/6