[Amps] Terminology Question

Jim Bryant kc5vdj@yahoo.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:47:41 -0600

http://community.democrats.com/members/kc5vdj/grebe-05.jpg
[1924 Grebe Synchrophase]

Ya see, in the early days of radio, electricity was like scarce...

You had your A battery which was usually a tractor battery or something...Then, you had your B battery/ies you bought at the store
for the HV lines, in the case of the illustration, Filaments to A, Plates to B [in this case, 90 volts to all tubes but the second
from the right [the one in front of the Grid Leak], which gets 45 volts with a 2.5 meg grid leak [cx-300].  The C voltage was the
bias, -4.5V in this case...  [The other tubes are a mix of C-301's and UX-201's]

Instead of explain all of this crap to people who could care less, they simplified it to A, B, and C batteries...

Also, on a side not, if anyone is interested in older radios, I may be willing to part with some tubes...mainly 201's...some
NIB...one CeCo A, NIB, with datasheet and blurb about CeCo being the largest, brass, several other brass 01's, including Cunningham
NIB...All test above TV-7 ratings...  I can take pix of the tubes if necessary, and I'm definitely not selling them all, I just have
a storage bill to pay off...  Offers?

RMead100@aol.com wrote:

> What is the origin of the B+ term in amp/radio/power supply terminology. I
> understand it to be the high voltage supply, but I do not know the origin of
> the designation and that has finally bothered me at age 52. It seems to me
> the only voltage referred to with this type of shorthand.........i.e. no A+
> or -; no B-, no C + or -.
>

> R Meadows
> k8BUX

jim
--
          ET has one helluva sense of humor!
     He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!