[Amps] Henry 2KD Classic

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:09:54 -0800

>While I had the 2KD Classic opened up for other work I decided to
>look at the HV supply. I thought that the caps and resistors were a
>little on the weak side from all that I have seen here. I wonder if
>anyone would care to suggest better cap and resistors for it?
>
>At present is has 8 ea 180MFD 450VDC caps and wirewound 20K Ohm 20
>watt 5% resistors.
>
>They still seem to be working ok but I notice that when turned on the
>voltage comes up to about 1800 Volt in the CW position and then
>slowly raises to about 2200 Volts. In the ssb position it comes up to
>about 2900 volts and the over a period of about 1 min it comes up to
>3200 volts. Due to this I would like to replace them and save myself
>trouble down the road.

€  I would check these potentials against a DMM with a x10 HV probe.  The
trouble could be in the metering scheme.

-  20k-ohm makes much heat.  Electrolytics do not tolerate heat well.  I
would go to a higher ohm equalizer R.
- Electrolytics typically last for c. 20-years.  The 4-digit number on
the case gives the year and week of mfg.  Example 9052 is the 52nd week
of 1990.  However, if you see white deposits around any of the pressure
vents, the electrolytics are history.

cheerio, Bob

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end