[Amps] QRO Technologies amps?

KL7RA kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:05:03 -0900

>Would everyone who has an opinion of the QRO Technologies amps please
>chime in and tell me what you think.  Are they good?  Are they well
>priced for what you get? etc.

Hi

I have both the 3k and 2500. Use them for contesting in multi-multi.
Run hard put away wet. The 2500 will run 1500 out on some bands
with about 20 watts in and into a load is good for 2 grand or so.

The 3k will bury a bird with a 2.5 kw slug.

I use extra cooling on the 3k by having a fan mounted on the side
blowing into and onto the p/s as does my Alpha . Ray says to mount a
fan on the top blowing out for contesting. Not sure which is better, but
the 3k runs cool for 48 hours the way I (Alpha, Ameritron) did it.

During non-contest Q's the 3k will run 1.5 kw and you have no indication
of running power, no hum, etc.

I wrote a review on e-ham.

The toss-up is between the 2500 and alpha 99. I have both and the 99
seems more fussy and will shut down with swr etc where the 2500 seems
not to care. The 99 has a LED pep watt meter which is nice. The 99 has
a little better/solid case and seems more TVI proof.

The 3k blows both of them away, but Alpha is also coming out with a
4cx-1600b which may be worth waiting for.

LOOOng delivery times for the QRO and Alpha although QRO sometimes
has a few amps ready to go on their web site.

73 Rich KL7RA