[Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [ Amps] BirdŽ 43 Manual

Paul Christensen w9ac@arrl.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:21:33 -0500

> Yes, but the Bird isn't measuring *power*. As Ian said, it's detecting
> 70.71Vrms forwards and backwards. The meter scale assumes the voltage is
> going into a 50R resistor. When it isn't, all the meter tells you is the
> voltages, not the powers.

I'm OK with this Steve and I understand Ian's clarification. The Bird is sampling RF voltage across the load that does not exist.  I
should have left out any reference to the Bird reading 100-watts of power.  Quite honestly, it's irrelevant to point.

But I still maintain that in the absence of a load on a loss-less line, any and all reflected power is being absorbed by the
fixed-impedance source (i.e., broadband PA).  Thoughts on this statement alone?  If reflected power is not absorbed by the source,
where is absorbed?

-Paul, W9AC