[Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] BirdŽ 43 Ma nual

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 20:01:53 +0000

Mike wrote:
>I take issue with the assertion that power is a scalar quantity that
>can't have a direction. It is no more scalar than voltage or current
>(they all have a sign associated with them, but none of them are
>vectors). On the other hand, the poyting vector "S" which is the cross
>product of the E and H field vectors in a TEM transmission line has a
>direction which corresponds to the direction of power flow in the
>transmission line. When a TEM wave hits a physical discontinuity, the
>poynting vector of the reflection created is flipped 180 degrees with
>respect to the incident wave. The reflected power flows in the opposite
>direction from the incident power.

I stand corrected by both Mike and Bert.

[Sorry, we now have visitors for Easter so I'll have to bow out for a
few days.]

New e-mail: g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
New website: http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek