[Amps] Transformer rewinding

Jeffrey Madore K1LE@ARRL.NET
Mon, 6 May 2002 00:06:25 -0400

Firstly, I would like to say thank you to all that responded to my =
questions per transformer rewinding. The information and web sites were =
most informative. I will probably start with a low voltage transformer, =
that I plan to use for a variable, regulated bench supply, and go from =
there.

My big interest though, is in a plate transformer that I've acquired. =
The HV winding reads 5316 VAC and 106 Ohms. My concern though is that =
the primary is 120V and less than 0.5 ohms. Actually the primary =
resistance was too low to measure without a ductor.  However, it appears =
that the secondary is made up of two donuts, each with similar multiple =
taps, with the ends connected in series. These donuts appear separate =
from the primary in the center and are held in place with wedges.

My thought is to disassemble the unit and rewind the primary with twice =
the turns using slightly smaller wire, as there is plenty of room. Thus =
I would hope to have a 240 V primary.

My questions are:

Does a 240 V primary vs. 120 V give significantly better voltage =
regulation , such that it is worth the trouble to rewind?

My open circuit DC voltage with a "C" filter will be nearly 7500 Volts. =
Can anyone recommend a tube that will operate at that voltage without an =
enormous price tag? I'd prefer grounded grid and 100 w drive, but will =
build a screen supply if need be.

Although I can operate the transformer at lower voltage taps, I'd like =
to use all of the available voltage to keep  the current at a minimum =
for the purpose of good voltage regulation.

Thanks again for the help provided.

Jeff - K1LE

multipart/alternative
  text/html