[Amps] Transformer secondary resistance

Phil (VA3UX) phil@vaxxine.com
Tue, 07 May 2002 07:14:46 -0400

At 09:42 AM 5/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>Long ago, I read something that warned against simply paralleling transformer
>secondary windings because of the risk of odd effects if the voltages were
>not equal. Since then, at high power (whatever the volts/amps), I've always
>used separate rectifiers on each secondary. Is this over cautious?

Yea Steve, the issue was with the potential for unequal load sharing
between the two windings if they are not nearly identical in terms of
impedance. This issue is raised primarily where two transformers are being
considered for parallel operation but it also applies to the
paralleling  of windings . In this case where the two windings are separate
"donuts" wound in the same shop and intended to be 'identical, it's
virtually a sure thing that the windings are close enough in impedance that
they can be run in parallel with no concern at all.

Phil