[Amps] al-1500 parasitic?? or some other problem?

Michael Tope W4EF@dellroy.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 17:06:40 -0700

Dave,

When you said "with and without" the ICE bandpass filter,
did you take it completely out of circuit for the "without"
portion or just switch it to the bypass mode. The LEDS on
the ICE front panel display (I am speaking of the ICE419
with which I am familiar) are not decoupled very well from
the RF path. On one of the units I had, the 7 MHz LED
went leaky and turn into a noise diode when reversed biased.
Turns out that ICE uses a single pull-up resistor common to
all 6 LEDS. When the unit is activated, this reverse biases
the 5 un-lit LEDs for the unused bands with about 10 volts DC.
The 7 MHz LED in one of my units had a high reverse current
and made a very nice broadband noise source. I discovered
the problem during the 2002 ARRL Phone Contest when
I noticed that my broadband noise floor on 10 and 15 meters
was significantly lower with the ICE filter turned OFF!

Anyway, the fact that RF coming from the DC control circuits
was able to couple out to the RF ports of the filter suggests that
some of the RF power passing thru the filter would be able to
leak back onto the diodes thru the control wiring network. I have
seen the LEDs on the ICE 419 blink in unison with the RF
envelope in some cases. I don't remember exactly which
band/antenna combinations would do this, but it always made me
nervous having that much RF across non-linear device like an
LED when operating in a multi-transmitter environment. After I
discovered the noise generating diode, I rewired the diode bias
network in the ICE so that each LED has its own pull-up resistor
and set of bypass capacitors. The LEDs don't blink anymore, and
the un-lit diodes in the inactive positions are no longer reversed bias
(no more broadband noise).

A couple of other commenters suggested bad connection (another
source of diode junctions). This is also a strong possibility. With
all the different rig/amp combinations causing the same trouble,
it is starting to smell like a problem with the wiring (e.g. bad
connection). Sounds like it would be worth borrowing a dummy
load at this point.

Good Luck,