[Amps] Ameritron AL80B with the FT1000

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 18:34:45 -0700

>Greetings,
>
>Anyone out there running the Ameritron AL80B with the FT1000 Mark V?  I
>picked up one recently but haven't interfaced it with the rig yet.  I
>noticed the Mark V book indicates that the gird current type ALC of
>circuit used by the AL80B isn't the preferred method for the Mark V.  But
>I suppose it should work.
>
>Any comments or suggestions?

€  Amplifier to transceiver ALC does not work as advertised.  The best
solution is to set the transceiver output to a specific level.  To drive
a 3-500Z to max  linear ability, use no more than c. 70w pep drive.  The
info on the 3-500Z current rating in the AL-80 manual is not according to
the tube manufacturer's specs.  The actual rating is 400mA (c.  150mA
indicated with voice mod).  More than that generates rotten splatter.

cheers, Ben