[Amps] Nonsense

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 22:50:20 -0400

> On Thursday 16 May 2002 18:02, Maurizio Panicara wrote:
> > Hi steve,
> >
> > there is no doubt that spurs or products of various type may be
> > generated along a wide spectrum in the most strange or unpredictable
> > ways, but no sub harmonic is existing in the strict sense, the term
> > is not poor choice is totally unproper. I would like to know, it
> > intrigues me very much, how to produce a real (true) frequency
> > division using analog linear circuits and a sine wave carrier.

I would also.

In all my years in this business (over 30), I have never seen an
analog frequency divider or a true "sub-harmonic".

Every single case of "sub-harmonics" I have seen come from a VFO
leaking through or other mixing products, or a stage that is
oscillating at half the operating frequency and locked in place.

I have never seen a system that can divide frequency by 2, without a
flip-flop or toggle of some type. It is impossible for an amplifier,
even a non-linear amplifier, to generate a sub-harmonic or mix one
without an additional oscillation. 73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com