[Amps] Non-linear subharmonics was: Nonsense, AL-1500 parasitic

jeff millar wa1hco@adelphia.net
Wed, 22 May 2002 00:21:39 -0400

You're quite correct that non-linearities do not directly generate anything
other than integer harmonics 2f, 3f, etc.  But it still possible to generate
sub-harmonics with a non-linear reactance, a passive circuit, and a pump
frequency.  Because there's two kinds of nonlinearity:

    Non-linear resistance...which results in clipping, etc.
    Non-linear reactance...which results in parametric effects

Parametric circuits can have _gain_ at frequencies other than the pump
frequency.  A sub-harmonic arises because the the parametric divice looks
like negative resistance and produces gain which results in oscillation at
f/2 or f/3.

Yes, this is unlikely in typical circuits.  But the effect is real and
documented and interesting.

jeff, wa1hco.