[Amps] Mica capacitors - friend or foe?

EVonvaltie@aol.com EVonvaltie@aol.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 14:36:07 EDT

Unfortunately that's not the main issue. What's relavent is how they perform
relative to other types (e.g. ceramic). You expressed the opinion that they
degrade more than other caps as f increases, and I am just trying to get you
to justify that opinion with some facts.

I don't think the fact that some capacitors in your junk box seem to have
decreased HF ratings (whatever you mean by that, anyway) is grounds for you
issuing your blanket condemnation of micas above 5 MHZ.

At least my opinion is based upon an analysis of the facts, as best as I can
determine them, AND some personal hands-on experience. I have built
capacitors, and tested their operational characteristics myself, again as
best as I can. And what I have seen is what I have stated here for anyone
interested to see.

If there are any other capacitor builders out there, I would be delighted to
swap some notes. In particular, if ANYONE is aware of any dielectric material
that outperforms mica, teflon, and polystyrene, I want to hear about it
yesterday.

Eric von Valtier K8LV

multipart/alternative
  text/html