[Amps] Re: [Amps} Transformer oil?

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:32:56 +0100

K8MLM wrote:
>If in doubt, the best way to get rid of transformer oil which has PCBs,
>or you think has PCBs, is to contact your local community hazardous
>materials branch / jurisdiction and request disposal instructions.  In
>most communities it is their responsibility to collect / facilitate
>removal of small quantities of hazardous materials from households of
>the community.  They normally have collection points and will tell you
>how to protect your self and properly dispose of hazardous materials...

On the other hand, you need to protect yourself against over-zealous
officials. "PCBs" is one of their trigger-words, the very mention of
which can make them imagine you're operating a "Love Canal" dump in your
backyard. That can get you into a whole heap of trouble you don't
deserve.

Colin's story about the difficulty of disposing of large batteries is a
good example of the kind of hassle you want to avoid... and with PCBs it
could be a lot worse.

It may be safer to get the initial information anonymously via their web
site, or by a phone call - "I'm calling for a friend (and by the way, I
disabled caller ID first)." You can then craft your approach to make
sure they treat it as the small-scale problem that it truly is.

>don't try burning it your self.  It will only agravate the problem!

It would fail miserably, but the stink would attract the local EPA and
the Feds like flies, closely followed by the press, and then the
neighbors waving lawsuits.

New e-mail: g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
New website: http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek