[Amps] Re: [Amps] various parasitic sources... chassis, tubes, etc...

Rich 2@vc.net
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 05:09:06 -0800

>Luck doesn't matter so much here.
>Tubes like 8877 are inherently good under this perspective and do not
>require VHF suppressors, other tubes aren't stable and suppprssors must
>be installed, that's all.

** Not quite, Mauri.  The 8877 has about 2/3 as much feedback-C as the
3-500Z, but it has about 2x as much gain at 100 - 150MHz.  3-500Zs have a
history of vhf parasite problems, so the 8877 should not be absolutely
immune to oscillation at vhf/uhf.
 - About half of the kaput 8877s I have awaiting autopsy have evidence of
loose gold meltballs, a condition that causes anode to grounded-grid
arcs.  Eimac's Specifications Engineer W. Foote told me this is caused by
an "oscillation condition" that causes thin layers of gold to boil off of
the grid and create current leakage.  [see Figure 24 on my Web site].