[Amps] 4-400A Plate

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00@uky.edu
Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:35:10 -0500

The first glowing plate amplifier I made was using a pair of
250th's.  I drove them with a pair of 6146B and had about
2Kv on the plate.  Naturally I had to provide bias to the tube
even though it was cathode driven.  When I tuned up the plates
not only glowed red you could see the dark shadow of the
grid on them.
         I was only a young ham then and did not know that
you "can't  run 250th in grounded grid".  But it worked just
fine and I did get about 1KW plate input power to the
amp. Which meet those days 200 watts plate input to the
6146B's and 800 watts plate input to the 250th amp.
         Legal limit was 1000 watts DC plate input power
of all stages contributing power to the antenna. So I had to
include the driver.
         I mostly worked CW and some SSB then (in the 60's).
Now I wish I still had the hallicrafters HT-4 that I destroyed to make
the amplifier.

73
Bill wa4lav